The Australian Woodworking Industry Suppliers Association (AWISA) 2016 exhibition took place at the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre on 6th – 9th July 2016. This two-yearly exhibition is usually a must-see event for everyone in the wood industry. Typically, furniture manufacturers, cabinet makers, kitchen manufacturers, joinery manufacturers, architects, designers and shop/office fitters are among the visitors.
This year was no different to previous years, with the majority of space allocated to companies exhibiting panel processing, solid wood and timber machinery, tooling, manufacturing software, plus ancillary products such as dust extraction and materials handling equipment. Major machine exhibitors included companies like SCM, HOMAG, Biesse and Holzher with Airtight providing the majority of ducting solutions across all the exhibitions. Numerous software companies either providing specific design solutions or end-to-end manufacturing solutions were also present. Various woodwork suppliers were also present (Laminex, Timberwood panels, etc.). And what is an exhibition without all the hardware fit-out companies (Blum, Hafele, etc.)?
Cutshop attendees were Simon Morton (Cutshop Mt Wellington) and Andre Hofer (Cutshop NZ franchisor).
So what were the highlights for us?
- The ability to make like-for-like technology comparisons across the numerous machine suppliers
- Rubbing of shoulders (networking) and making new contacts with people in a similar industry
- Affirmation of Cutshop’s choice on the Holzher edgebander providing the latest edge in technology
- Reaffirmation of the Cutshop concept – still unique and advanced in its business model
- Extra focus allowed us to compare manufacturing software solutions providing end-to-end oversight (estimating – programming – manufacturing – invoicing) improving turnaround times and overall performance insight
- Confirmation of some software choices that Cutshop will start to use in the foreseeable future to become leaner and smarter whilst also becoming more visible in the business-to-business space
- Meeting with people to investigate the franchising opportunity offered by Cutshop in Australia
- And being in Melbourne just having fun